Have you ever wondered how to manually check what gear ratio your vehicle is equipped with? It's pretty simple
Most cars will have this written on the door jam with the VIN number and build information. If not, you can use this method
- Block the front wheels so that they cannot move.
- Jack the rear of the car up so that the rear tires are off the ground.
- Put the vehicle in neutral (but not running).
- Mark the driveshaft somewhere you can see it from a safe area.
- Rotate the rear wheel towards the front of the car one full rotation while watching how many times the driveshaft turns.
- 2 ¾ rotations = 2.73 gears
- Just past 3 rotations = 3.08 gears
- 3 ¼ rotations = 3.27 gears
- 3 ½ rotations = 3.55 gears
- 3 ¾ rotations = 3.73 gears
- Just under 4 rotations = 3.90 gears
- Just past 4 rotations = 4.10 gears